A McGriff client in the recycling business had grown to 17 locations in 14 states through various acquisitions. While the exponential growth was exciting, it also presented significant challenges developing and implementing consistent safety practices and standards. In addition, due to the nature of their business, claims management and establishing return to work programs were also difficult. With their claims spiraling out of control, they reached out to their McGriff representative for assistance.
The McGriff representative immediately engaged a risk control consultant from McGriff Risk Services. The consultant collaborated with the client’s senior leadership to develop a plan focused on reversing the trend of increasing workers’ compensation costs. The components of the plan included:
- Developing a standardized safety manual to be used at all facilities
- On-going leadership safety training webinars for all locations
- Mock-OSHA audits at select facilities to ensure compliance with the OSHA requirements and company safety standards
- Supervisor Job Hazard Analysis (JHA) training
- The development of Job Hazard Analysis’ at all locations
- The risk control consultant engaged a McGriff training resource consultant to assist the client with their training initiatives. The consultant was instrumental in providing access to safety online training courses, assisting with course selections and delivering them strategically to the associates.
A McGriff Risk Services claim consultant helped to establish a consistent claims management process which included:
- The identification of modified duty job opportunities for injured workers
- Proactive management of claims to bring about cost-effective closures
The collaborative efforts between the client and the McGriff Risk Services consultants helped to define the risk control expectations for all locations, and re-shaped the safety culture throughout the organization. When claims did occur, they were now effectively managed. The organization experienced a 23 percent reduction of the severity rate for workers’ compensation claims, saving the client more than $400,000 in premiums this year.
Disclaimer: Individual results will vary.
Insurance products and services offered through McGriff Insurance Services, LLC, a subsidiary of Truist Insurance Holdings, LLC, are not a deposit, not FDIC insured, not guaranteed by a bank, not insured by any federal government agency and may go down in value.
McGriff Insurance Services, LLC. CA License #0C64544